On November 10, 1843, Montgomery Presbytery held its organizational meeting. Among the churches listed on its roll was Locust Bottom Church located near Glen Wilton, Virginia. Locust Bottom, the Mother Church of both Glen Wilton and Galatia Presbyterian Churches, was originally a Lutheran Church and was used jointly by the Lutherans and the Presbyterians.

 

        Many Scottish-Irish families living in “Gala Water” (the original name of the community) were attending church at Locust Bottom in the late 1800s. In the summer of 1886, the Rev. P. Frank Price (whose father was then pastor of Buchanan Presbyterian Church) came to the Gala neighborhood, having taught in the Fincastle School the previous session. He held Sunday School and encouraged members of this community to build their own churches.

 

        On December 3, 1887, Galatia Church, named by Rev. P. Frank Price, was organized in the new building located on a hill overlooking the beautiful James River Valley at Gala. Dr. Price later served as a missionary to China for more than fifty years. While visiting in the states in 1936, he held services at Galatia, and several charter members were present for this joyful event with old friends. In his later years, Dr. Price was elected moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States.

 

        Part of the original land for Galatia Church and Cemetery was given by the Hadens, while another section was given by the Carpers. In later years a large section was given by G.C. Thompson, Jr. and his family in memory of G.C. Thompson, Sr. 

‚Äč

         In July, 2016, the third generation of Thompson men joined this tradition of giving land to the church. Richard Thompson and his wife Robin gave the land on which the church's picnic pavillion now stands. The gift was made in memory and honor of Richard's parents G.C. and Jeanne Thompson, to the glory of God.

 

The History of Galatia Church